Monday, February 25, 2008

A simpler time...



The 80th Academy Awards were on last night - something I look forward to every year - and while I found Jon Stewart to be his usual hilarious self (btw, I think the man is a genius) the show was a bit boring. However, it made me think of the art of the movie poster. Unfortunately, the wonderful world of air-brushing and marketing efforts seem to have taken all creativity out of movie posters. Here a few entertaining movie posters from the 1950's. I love the use of illustration instead of digitally enhanced photos of overrated lead characters. The colorful illustrations emphasize the artists' touch and get back to the hands-on roots of design. And seriously after seeing these posters, who doesn't want to root for the damsel in distress, or follow the 'Seven savage punks on a weekend binge of violence' ?

No comments: