Wednesday, March 26, 2008

British Prints at the MFA, Boston

I went to the MFA last weekend because word on the street was that there's a printmaking show there. Obviously I needed to go. Rhythms Of Modern Life, British Prints: 1914-1939 exhibits the impact of Futurism and Cubism on British modernist printmaking. From the beginning of WWI to the beginning of WWII, the first inherently abstract British art movement of the 20th century arose; Vorticism. I never thought I would say the words "wow, look at that linocut!"...I am a printmaking snob, openly...but these linocuts were amazing. Dynamic, colorful, textural, these little gems really surprised me. Below are two Lill Tschudi linocuts. For the print on the left, she used the underside of the linoleum block to provide a tweed-like texture to the clothing. Oh, hey Genius.Also exhibited are some incredible drypoint etchings by C.R.W Nevinson (right, below) and woodcuts by Edward Wadsworth (left). Their take on bleak, industrial subject matter is graceful and clean.If you have the chance, go check it out!

No comments: