Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Give a Little

It seems I have become a "do-gooder". That's right, as of yesterday, I have officially become a volunteer for PAWS. Pets Are Wonderful Support (PAWS) is a volunteer-based organization that provides for the comprehensive needs of companion animals for low-income persons with HIV/AIDS and other disabling illnesses. Admittedly, this is something that I inadvertently volunteered for. (Let's face it, it's a bit ironic seeing as I'm not much of a pet person.) But as it turns out, I will be able to volunteer my graphic design services (phew, no dog walking for me!). This got me thinking of the importance of graphic designers volunteering their services for non-profit organizations. As graphic designers we know the importance and power of professional, high-quality design. And unfortunately, we also know the high price of such design. So to all the designers out there: Use your skills for something good! Redesign a logo, help launch a website, or design some powerful, eye-catching advertisements...your skills can make a difference!

Also, check out Taproot Foundation, it is an organization that brings together professionals to do pro bono marketing, HR and IT work in order to gain the exposure and success of nonprofits all over the country.



1 comment:

Tess Mattern said...

Meghan, this is great! You'll need to share the work you do for PAWS. And I'll need to look into TAPROOT to see what opportunities there are in Boston... it sounds like such a terrific foundation.