Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Found Across The Globe: All Over China


I recently went on a work trip that took me all over China. We visited 6 cities in the eastern part of China: Nanjing, Hangzhou, Changsha, Wuhan, Xi'an and Beijing. It was a great work trip, but the effects it had on me creatively and personally is why I want to share these photos with you all. While seeing the dirtiest, basest cities of China as well as Beijing, putting on a veneer for the western world, I was able to explore the varied customs, designs, mythology and people in this country of constant change. The thing that struck me the most was how things can be so old and so new in China. How a thousand year old temple can be near a new skyscraper, China cannot stop growing but they will never let go of their past. 
In the photo set you will see aspects of my trip that have inspired my design and artwork while not being directly related to "design." The changing landscape of China; driving through the flatlands, up and around mountains, through small villages, I have never seen the land change so rapidly. Parts of the gross motels I stayed in, the best noodle bowl I have ever eaten, hand painted banners, and ultra contemporary architecture at the Olympic Village. I have a small obsession with the Water Cube and the Birds Nest, two of the most breathtaking sights I have seen in my life. Please click through and read my titles/descriptions for some more information. It was a life changing trip and I hope you can enjoy this little slice! ••••

3 comments:

Sarah Martin said...

Meghan, your pictures are fantastic! I really felt like I was there. Favorites: The red fish, the outdoor WC (which looks straight out of a Lost episode), basically anything from the Olympics, and all the funny signage.
Props on Banner! Good pick.

Tess Mattern said...

I was SO EXCITED to see your pictures posted this morning. These are seriously unbelievable— I still can't get over the fact that you actually attended this past summer Olympics. The photos of the Water Cube at night are simply incredible, and the Bird's Nest is just such an amazing piece of architecture.

I also love your images of everyday China— the WCs, malls, food, everything. Can I climb in your suitcase if you go back sometime soon? I promise I'll lose some weight beforehand so I don't take up the space reserved for Luna Bars.

sarahheartsdesign said...

You just blew my mind...thanks for the pictures they are gorgeous!