Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I'm a victim.


I literally LOL'd (sorry, for the non-web 2.0 readers: Laughed Out Loud) when I saw this campaign by UK designer Shaz Madani in an effort to get people away from their computers and to venture outside. Trust me, the irony in that I'm blogging about this at 9:30 at night is not lost on me. But it does make me wonder, in a time where social networking, blogging, twittering, facebooking has basically taken over the world, am I a victim? Has what I once praised as revolutionary and amazing actually kept me trapped and estranged from the outside world? I hate to admit it, but on a typical weekday I spend 8+ hours in front of a computer at work and then come home only to sit right back down in front of the computer to do my nightly stalking (I mean, networking) on Facebook, then an hour or so of blogging. As adults we often reflect upon our childhoods when we used to play outside from dawn to dusk as opposed to the "kids of today" who spend more time in front of the tv or video games, however, I guess it would be hypocritical to deny that we've all suffered a bit from the advancements in technology and the Internet. So I suppose this campaign is a good reminder to us all. I doubt I'll be able to tear myself away from the computer entirely - obviously Crew Design depends on it - but I can try to be more conscientious of the amount of time I spend in front of this thing and to actually step outside more often for some fresh air....but no worries, I'll be sure to leave a Facebook status before I leave ;) ••••

2 comments:

Sarah Martin said...

Meghan, you have made me feel guilty at 8:30 in the morning. I am acutely aware how long I am staring at my computer screen. I m almost embarrassed to come home after work and do exactly what you describe. Our generation is unique because we are the first to grow up in front of the computer and watch is advance before our eyes. Maybe this reasoning softens the blow of our obsession with computers. This is a great reminder to all of us! I will try to at least look out the window once today. ;)

Sarah Cowen said...

Good post, I like that first poster. I don't think we're victims though, we all choose to sit in front of our beautiful Mac screens. I've been trying to not sit at my computer in the evenings but that's proofing difficult while trying to finish school. ARG! I'm looking forward to my holiday break in December where I will not be at a computer for 18 days!!! I did it last year and it was great. I really didn't miss anything either.