Monday, February 9, 2009

Best Illustrated Bar

Yesterday I took a day trip to New York, and after visiting a few museums I was introduced to a hidden gem of the city (at least to me): Bemelman's bar at the Carlyle Hotel. Bemelmans bar is thus named because it is painter from floor to ceiling by Ludwig Bemelmans, writer/illustrator of the Madeline series. The walls are filled with paintings of giraffe families, fully dressed bunnies smoking cigars, and, of course, twelve little girls in two straight lines. Even the lampshades are painted! Bemelmans undertook the project in exchange for lodging at the hotel over the year and a half he worked on the mural. I've never blogged about a bar before, but this one is truly unique— pricey drinks are well worth it for the chance to see this in person. ••••

1 comment:

Sarah Cowen said...

Gorgeous! I'm glad you discovered this bar, I haven't been but know of it. Bemelmans rocks. I have to say that one of my prized finds over the past few years is a collection of old Holiday magazines. In one of the magazines are illustrations by Bemelmans made JUST for that issue. SCORE!