Monday, June 1, 2009

Open Copenhagen

Marketing a city is an interesting concept; when done effectively it can directly impact a city's economy with increased tourism, business development, and events. A few years ago, Amsterdam created the 'I AMsterdam' identity to compete against surrounding European cities. Similarly, Copenhagen just launched their 'Open Copenhagen' campaign which uses a play on words much like 'I AMsterdam.' Despite never having been to Copenhagen, I have always imagined it to be a wonderfully relaxing place full of well designed products, clean streets, and happy, tolerant people riding their bikes to and from work. The Open Copenhagen campaign reinforces the image I've always had of the city.

Many firms fought to lead this branding effort, but only one was chosen: PeopleGroup. When forming the concept and brand, PeopleGroup chose an opensource approach so that multiple users of the brand can adjust the logo to work to their unique advantages. The logo is highly versatile while remaining consistent. Here are a few ideas of how the logo might be applied:

Overall, I think the concept and design is awesome. I hope that it is effective and I look forward to seeing how different industries in Copenhagen use the logo in unique ways. I've always wanted to travel to Denmark...now more than ever! ••••

1 comment:

Sarah Martin said...

"I have always imagined it to be a wonderfully relaxing place full of well designed products, clean streets, and happy, tolerant people riding their bikes to and from work." HA!

very cool. I am still crazy about the I AMsterdamn.