Friday, April 30, 2010

The Main Course

In the 3rd grade, my teacher asked us to create a restaurant menu. I believe the idea of the assignment was to create groupings of items and lists (typical 3rd grade work), however even at that time I remember thinking of this assignment as one of my first design projects.


In 3rd grade I used Corel Draw and clipart to create my menu masterpiece. (hey, that was pretty hip in 1993) Now days, menus are designed by true graphic design professionals and I still consider it an art form. I won't lie; I will judge a restaurant by the design of the menu: the layout, the type, the paper, and even the binding.

I ran across these menu design examples on graphic-exchange.com and it brought back all those 3rd grade memories.
••••


1 comment:

Sarah Cowen said...

I love the idea of using a double sided paper, one for text the other for beauty! I LOVE PAPER!!!