Thursday, February 17, 2011

Another One Bites the Dust

Goodbye, peacock! With what seems like little fanfare, this bird was recently nixed from the NBC Universal wordmark completely. However, he will be retained for the stations of NBC, MSNBC, and CNBC—a fact I missed initially when writing this post, but which relieves me significantly. Still, the bird is not the corporate logo, which begs the question: what ever happened to loyalty?

I can't help but think that the heritage of the peacock logo was too casually tossed aside. By no means do I hate change, but if my brand had such a universally recognizable symbol, I would think long and hard about the decision to discard it. I can't help but think there may have been ways to update the mark without doing away with the image completely. Not even a feather remains! I am also not the biggest fan of the new typeface, "Rock," created by Bold Monday for the mark. It strikes me as a face that may quickly become dated. Read more about the redesign at the source for all branding changes, Brand New, which takes the opposite opinion. And leave your thoughts here.
••••

1 comment:

Meghan Colvin said...

Getting rid of the peacock would be like getting rid of Matt Lauer. Not ok, NBC. This pains me deeply.