Monday, July 28, 2008

Doodle Buzz


What: A new way to read the news through an experimental interface that allows you to create typographic maps of current news stories.

Why: To create an entirely new way of exploring information - one that allows for a kind of "quiet chaos" that gives people the opportunity to explore unthought of paths and connections along their news gathering journey. You may start at Iraq but end up finishing on Britney, whilst taking in The Catholic Church, Global Warming and 50 Cent.


DoodleBuzz is very interesting and worth a second of your time! ••••

1 comment:

thomas said...

While I don't like to think of myself as a conformist, I DO think there is a reason that people have generally stuck with the text-in-straight-lines system for gathering and disseminating information. This website is pretty, but also, imo, pretty useless in a newsreading capacity. Even if I were only interested in reading random news bites, I would probably just look at the front page of any major news website-- lots of varied stories, direct access to full text (for the most part), and I don't have to crane my head around to read half of the headlines.

I think that the idea of using news and headlines as a corpus for art rather than linguistic study is pretty cool. I just wouldn't use this as a newsreader.