Monday, July 28, 2008

Found in San Francisco: Indie Mart Street Fair


Tourists, fog, movies in the park, and weekend street fairs - all things that characterize summertime in San Francisco. On any given weekend street fairs filter the various neighborhoods in and around the city. Usually they consist of the same craft fair merchandise and cater more towards people that just want an excuse to drink beer and eat sausages before noon (umm, not that there's anything wrong with that). This weekend, however, I stumbled across something a bit different - the Indie Mart - a street fair devoted solely to independent artists selling truly unique products. Jewelry, sculptures, toys, clothing and accessories filled the booths and attracted hundreds of people, despite the less than desirable weather. Straying from conventional arts and crafts, the merchants at Indie Mart prove to be real artists selling highly crafted products. The above pictures show just a handful of the fun visual goodies at Indie Mart. My favorite of all the vendors had to be Andy of Sanfranpsycho. A great name for a great product. The amazing graphics on the silk screened clothing caught my attention and Andy in all his silk screening glory kept my attention. In the middle of the fair Andy was putting his craft to work by silk screening custom shirts, hoodies, and/or anything you could offer. The graphics are edgy, current and trendy enough to be in the windows of Urban Outfitters, but far cooler since they're not in the windows of UrbanOutfitters. ••••

4 comments:

Tess Mattern said...

This looks like such a fun outing! It reminds me of the Bizarre Bazaar, something I was just reading about the other day— my roommate sent me a link and I know Meghan B has gone before in Boston. But it looks like they have them in Austin and San Fran as well!

http://www.bazaarbizarre.org/

Sarah Martin said...

Cool pictures Meghan! I always wish I lived in San Fran when I read your posts.

Tess, I have to admit I am no fan of the Bizarre Bazaar (I went in Boston) unless you are really into knitting and jewelry made from felt. Call me crazy, but this is one graphic designer that is not a fan of crafts.

Clare said...

I loved Andy of Sanfranpsycho! I think Meghan C. and I went a little psycho ourselves when we saw these totally cool and unique screen print designs he was busting out on this guy's sweatshirt...it was awesome! If the guy in line in front of us had picked 2 designs instead of 20 we might be sporting our own Sanfranpsycho sweatshirts right now, but it's cool, Andy told us we could check out his home studio and he would, "rip and flow with some awesome designs". You have to love a sufer/screen print artist.

elponk said...

thank you for posting my purse. Great article.