Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Message on a Bottle




Don't get me wrong, I love a good Malbec. However, it is my opinion that wine labels get all the glory. Beer is where it's really at. I am currently trying my hand at homebrewing (I now have TWO failed attempts under my belt), but let's be honest: more than half of the reason I'm doing this is so that I can design my own labels. I just can't get enough of the intricate, ornamental designs you can find on so many bottles. Piecing one of these labels together is a designer's dream come true.


I've been scouring the web, and Mall Discount Liquors on Harvard Ave., for inspiration. I absolutely love the vintage look of a beer like Anchor Steam (and just take a look at their original label. Gorgeous!). But when the time comes to make my own, I don't think I will be able to resist trying my hand at a more current approach. Two of my favorite takes: some very handsome, textural labels designed by the Austin's Ptarmak (below, top, via Ubersuper), and a sleeker, graphic approach by Brandhouse (below, bottom, via the dieline).



Ever bought a six pack for the label alone? Share your favorites in the comments! Also, quick plug here for the Brooklyn Brew Shop, whose amazing kits and well-designed branding have inspired me to get brewing! ••••

2 comments:

Meghan Colvin said...

Crew, Design and Beer. Tess, you've hit the trifecta!

Meghan B said...

boozehounds