Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Cultural Heart of New York

Above image: See our 02.25.08 post about OrkPosters

These days it seems like every time I turn around someone is talking about Brooklyn. It has become the buzz on the streets, the feature in the news, and the talk of the blogs...seems Brooklyn is the "it" place to be right now. Unfortunately, I've never actually been to Brooklyn, but I'm itching to go. From what I've read, it sounds like an epicenter of rich culture, artistic energy, and cultural diversity. Everything about Brooklyn from the architecture to the people that live here intrigue me. Or maybe it's just all that awesome exposed brick...

Here are a just few things I have recently stumbled across about Brooklyn:

Popular blogger Jonathon Butler documents the ins and outs of Brooklyn on his blog, the Brownstoner.com
. His blog focuses on the revival of Brooklyn in recent years and often features gorgeous renovations of historical Brooklyn buildings.

Jonathon Butler is also the founder of the new Brooklyn Flea, the largest outdoor market in New York City. It is a venue for vintage furniture, lighting, records, clothes, jewelry, etc. Basically. this isn't your average garage sale. The market features over 200 vendors every Sunday from 10am - 5pm. Read more about it here.

Note from a west coast observer: Although I've never been to the Brooklyn Flea it is reminiscent of the well-known Alameda Pointe Antiques and Collectibles Faire, the largest Northern California Flea Market. This just so happens to be in my hometown of Alameda, California, however, I'm a bit ashamed to say I've never been to this one either! oops.

Another Brooklyn find is the new book published by Rizzoli, Brooklyn Modern. A chronicle of the
historical Brooklyn architecture and recent revival in renovation. I've only seen the cover, but I judged it accordingly and it makes me want to run to the bookstore right away.

Also, check out the article Lettering Grows in Brooklyn, from aiga.org. It discusses the unique lettering found on buildings throughout Brooklyn. I love that so many buildings in Brooklyn have names, mottoes and inscribed lettering on them - such character and charm! This article also reminds me of Tess' recent posting on the numbers/lettering on Boston buildings.

Please leave comments with anything else Brooklyn related, as it appears to be my current obsession!

1 comment:

Meghan B said...

Not to mention the amazing Murakami exhibit at the Brooklyn museum!